Sunday, October 4, 2009

Trip to the PMA

Because of some scheduling issues, I have not been able to attend the foundation lecture series. So instead I've taking a few art-related excursions to make up for that loss.

Though I forgot to document it here on my blogger, last weekend I took a trip to the Philadelphia Art Museum for an assignment for my Art Heritage Class. For the assignment we were travel through the galleries of European Art (1100-1500) and then compose a paper on the importance of the curatorial decisions made.

During my trip I saw many interesting pieces of those period works. Especially intriguing was the Virgin and Child in a Landscape by Master of the Embroidered Foliage. The hyper-detail included in the piece from ornate trim of the Virgin’s dress, to the actual words of the pages of the book held in her hand, and to the individual leaves upon trees and each painstaking blade of grass, it is just amazing. It’s Mind-blowing really, to just think about the time, patience and precision that must have went into this piece, it’s really hard to fathom.

Straying from my project, I explored a few of the European Art 1850-1900 galleries. My favorite piece hands down was At the Moulin Rouge: The Dance by Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec. It was just really lovely, with a myriad of warm yet softly subdued colors, and energetic lines. I kept coming back to it as I made my way through the galleries.

I also really enjoyed the prints and drawings, the fine etching and pen and ink works where really inspiring to see.

All in all my trip to the PMA was extremely worthwhile as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment